Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Tooth Fairy

Deklan has lost 2 teeth in the past week or so. I'm not really one to go with the whole tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa Claus myths. I've always told my kids the truth and it's not a big deal in my family. That's how I was raised. So when Deklan lost his first tooth a week - almost two weeks, now - I was excited. We took pictures. But we didn't put it under the pillow or anything. Actually, he lost the tooth at school so it was sent home in a big plastic tooth (the nurse keeps some for just these occasions). So, again, no big deal. He called Nana to tell her about the tooth.

Guess what? Three days later he got a letter in the mail from the Tooth Fairy. Yep! A $1 with a note that read, "I love teeth! Love, the Tooth Fairy". Addressed to Deklan, return address the Tooth Fairy. The first thing he wanted was his plastic tooth so he could see if the tooth fairy had actually gotten his tooth. Good thing I check the mail before he gets home - Mom actually told me it was coming though. I had found the big tooth, untaped it carefully, removed the tooth, replaced the tape - it was never opened. :) That was awesome! He loved it; thinks it's great!

Yesterday, he came home with his second tooth out! Oh boy, tooth fairy mail again? Nope! The tooth fairy only had to mail it because he forgot to put the tooth under his pillow last time. This time he made sure he put the tooth under his pillow. Shootfire! That means I have to be the tooth fairy. I'm not good at that kind of stuff - I forget. Actually... I couldn't find the silly thing under his pillow. Ok first you should know I have three children right? They all sleep in the same bed. Yes, they really do. Deklan against the wall, oldest in the middle, middle on the outside. So, in order to get the tooth, I have to crawl over the girls - did I mention this is a full size mattress with a twin bunk on top? I only hit my head once. I gave up, figured I'd give him an excuse if he checked it before I got in there this morning. He's a creature of habit so he headed directly to my room for a shower. While he was in the shower, I found the tooth (finally), removed the tooth, replaced the tape, and put a dollar under the plastic tooth. He was so excited again. He called Nana and told her about the tooth fairy. The tooth fairy had found the tooth because it was under the pillow so she didn't have to mail it this time.

As long as he's happy, I guess.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. What a sweet Grandma he has. Hopefully he gives the tooth fairy a little break for a while now, lol.

Marshella said...

It is a lot of work! :) I asked him if he was going to let the tooth fairy take a break or if he was going to start pulling teeth every other day now. He started wiggling another tooth! LOL