Friday, August 29, 2008

Not autistic enough?

I applied for case management and some services for Deklan. He was diagnosed with Autistic Disorder in October 2007. That was after nearly a year of working towards getting into a doctor to get the diagnosis - that's a different story. Anyway, he was turned down - he doesn't qualify. The reason he was turned down is because "Specifically, you do not exhibit an Axis II diagnosis of Mental Retardation before the age of 18, as measured by a licensed psychologist, nor do you exhibit a developmental disability." Isn't Autism a developmental disability in itself? He's not autistic enough? I just don't get it. These are services that he could benefit from - am I wrong to want that?

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

That is totally stupid and really not fair. I'm so sorry he can't get the services.

mommy~dearest said...

Jaysen's been turned down for services also. It sucks. I was able to get him SSI though, but I had to have the school and his doctors write letters really exaggerating some of his issues. The SSI helps, but it's obviously not enough to pay for services that he would benefit from.

Marshella said...

Thanks for the support. I called yesterday and can appeal the decision. Basically because he's high functioning and most of his disorder affects socio-emotional areas of his day-to-day then he's not considered developmentally disabled enough. I can't go to the school psychologist because she's been against even doing an evaluation for an IEP from the beginning. She had to fill out a form anyway and I'm sure whatever she wrote didn't help. She didn't even put anything about confusion during transition or repeating phrases or not responding when being talked to. But we'll appeal.