Monday, January 26, 2009

Special Boy

Deklan decided to be in the talent show - telling jokes. He's telling the banana joke: "Knock, Knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, Knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, Knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, Knock. Who's there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you glad I didn't say banana?" and a skeleton joke: "Why don't skeletons watch horror movies? They don't have the guts!"
We had "dress" rehearsal on Friday afternoon. When it was Deklan's turn, the teacher in charge seemed a little irritated. I assumed it was because she was trying to get all these students up and practice within a short time. However, when we left, Hayleigh said, "I don't think she liked Deklan very much." I thought I was the only one reading into that - but like I said she was busy. So I just asked Deklan if he liked her. He said yes he likes her just fine. Then I asked if she likes him.
He said, "Yes. I'm special to the school though."
O..K.. "Why do you say that?"
"Because everyone knows who I am - even kids that aren't in my grade. I think the teachers must tell everyone my name or something. But I know I'm special to the school."
"Why do you say that?"
"Because they treat me different than the other students."
"How?"
"They just do."
"So how do they treat you different than they treat Dillon?"
"Not just Dillon - ALL THE OTHER STUDENTS."
"OK - how do they treat you different?"
"Nevermind - you don't understand. I just know I'm special to the school."
Ok - I know I want him to have the special advantages that he needs to function normally in his gen ed class but have I made such a big deal that now they treat him differently. Nope - I think he just has such a great personality that everyone knows who he is. The teachers don't talk about him except to say what a great kid he is. That's what I'm going to believe - it works for Deklan, why not me?!
Back to the talent show... He did a great job. Everyone laughed and did the "Who's There?" part of the knock, knock joke back to him. It was great.
Here's a picture - taken from my phone so it isn't the best but you get the idea of how cute he looked on stage.

No comments: