Sunday, May 10, 2009

Good News, Bad News

Bad news first.

Bad News: Still staying with friends. The rental we were looking into... the guy NEVER called me back. How rude! Sounds like I didn't want to be his tenant anyway if he doesn't have the decency to at least call and tell me no. I've got a friend who just built a house. I heard through another friend that she may be renting out her house instead of selling it. I've put an email out to her to let me know. If the rent is right, it would be perfect - and in the right school district. As of right now... I'm ready to move, stay with my mom - oh yeah Oklahoma, live in my van? I don't know. Anyway, of course they believe that their son is smarter than Deklan and therefore, he MUST know what he's doing and Deklan does not. It's getting frustrating. Although I don't think they do it intentionally. Deklan is limited to what he can do because it's not my house. He's limited in the computer and video games because I won't allow him to play unless the other kid is playing or invites him to join him - not my stuff and I'm not comfortable just letting him use it. He could probably kick the other kid's little bottom when it comes to computers but he's not given the chance. It's really not fair. Here's where I and my friends differ: I wouldn't let my kid on the computer without either sharing the time - 15 minutes each - or allowing the other kid to automatically be invited in to play too. On the other hand, we're the ones staying with them and just need to be thankful that we have friends willing to let a family of 5 plus a dog move in with them. I truly am thankful and we'll still be friends when this is over.

Now for a little good news.

Good news: Our Girl Scout troop won the People's Choice Award for their "Groovin'" float in the Wichita River Festival. It was a '60's theme. Yay, Girls - good job. It was a plaque and a large monetary prize ($1,000). That will help our troop funds with trying to take a cool fall break somewhere with all the girls. We're looking into Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. That would be so much fun. It was so cool that the girls won. I'll post pictures when I can - still using someone else's computer. What else? Oh yes, we had a service unit event. It was a father/daughter dance. It was awesome! It was wonderful to see so many of the dads/grandpas/uncles come with their girls and participate. We had a DJ so the music was great; he had karaoke for the girls. We also had dance and craft competitions for each level, as well as door prize drawings. My Hayleigh and her daddy won the Junior dance competition. They were so funny... and cute. I hope I can get some of those pictures to post too.

Today is Mother's Day. Happy late Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers. I'm grumpy and in a bad mood though. Have been all day. Don't know why, but who cares? I'm grumpy.

Last week was kind of busy. Monday: Hayleigh's GS meeting. Tuesday: Hayleigh had a program at school - I went to the morning performance because I also had a Service Unit meeting scheduled for the evening. The evening meeting was a recognition dinner and I really wanted to have the break and go. I had a lot of fun too. Wednesday: Hayleigh had an eye doctor's appointment. Scheduled for 8:45, but ran over and didn't get out until nearly 11:00. Took her to school and then because it was Teacher Appreciation day at school, I spent all day at the Middle School. Helping with the luncheon and setting up concessions for the dance on Friday. Kodi had a GS meeting to work on the float for the parade. Thursday: Hayleigh had a therapy appointment and then the rest of the day off! wow! Friday: Non-stop. Loading pop in the cooler in the outside concessions. Getting Deklan registered for summer school. Running odds and ends errands to get ready for the parade that night. Putting together costumes for the parade too. Picking up snacks for the girls. Running to storage. Going to the parade - had to be there an hour early at 5:30. Saturday: Getting through a melt down with Deklan. Going downtown for photo op with the girls collecting the prize from the parade. Taking the kids on some of the rides (thank goodness they were free with the festival button!). Chasing after Deklan. Getting the girls home to change for the father/daughter dance. Off to the church to help finish setting up for the dance. Working and keeping track of Deklan during the dance. Sending the kids home with daddy and staying to clean up after the dance. I'm tired and my husband doesn't understand why I'm so grumpy. But, alas, that is the call of the mother, right? LOL

This week? Monday: Field day at Hayleigh's school. ..... Friday: Field day at Deklan's school. With everything in between. :)

Just a couple of more rambles. I don't know when I'll get a chance to log on again.

First...Does anyone have any ideas for a harness (or use one)? We found one today that is actually a small back pack with a "leash" that goes out behind for me to hold onto. It's not really meant for a special needs 6 year old though. And I'm afraid that when he gets tired of wearing it he'll just pull it off. I'm just having so much trouble keeping up with him. He likes to hide a lot in public. Although he is very high functioning and can talk well... he chooses not to answer me when I'm frantically looking through racks of clothes or down every aisle for him. It's a little frustrating and embarrassing. Anyway, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Second... Hayleigh's first eye surgery is scheduled for May 28. A week after school gets out. For those that don't know, Hayleigh was born with cataracts. She had both lenses removed before she was two months old (3 eye surgeries to do so). Anyway, she is now at a point where "coke-bottle" glasses are a burden in her busy little life. She has chosen to get the lens implant surgery. She will still have to have bifocals for reading - always will. But those will be glasses she can take off while she's out playing. Her next eye surgery will be 4-6 weeks after the first. The doctor needs to make sure there are no infections or complications from the first. She's excited and nervous. So am I!

Third... Deklan has decided that he definitely wants to do the summer school program. Art class. One hour a day in the mornings from July 7 through July 31. That should be interesting. I'm sure he'll absolutely love it though. He really likes to create things.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Wow, you sound super busy. hugs for all thats going on.

Marshella said...

Thanks!