Monday, March 31, 2008

Keeping with the autism awareness month. Here is something else that I just learned about Autism. Thanks to Momologue for answering this question for me. I was unaware that the autism ribbon that looks like puzzle pieces is actually offensive to some in the autism community. I personally really liked the way it looked. Then I became educated on the offensiveness of the puzzle look. Much like Cancer or Aids, the puzzle emblem represents a "find the cure" mentality. I am not necessarily trying to find a cure as much as trying to find a supportive community in which my child will be accepted. I don't want to "cure" my Deklan. My goodness, I can't even imagine him being any other way. Yes, it is frustrating at times; yes, it is completely overwhelming at times; and, yes, I sometimes feel like no one in the world could possibly imagine what we're going through at the time. BUT, and this is a big but (kind of like mine! ha-ha), God gave me Deklan and I love him for who he is and not for what he could have been or could be. I'm sorry if this mentality offends anyone out there but that's what I feel. I'm not looking for a cure -- just patience to help Deklan deal with situations that are too overwhelming for him (and sometimes me).

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

I'm not sure what to think about that. I totally get what people are saying, but I don't really look at the puzzle emblem as anything more than the fact that autism is a puzzle. I think I'll just leave mine for now but I get it.

Fe-Fe said...

I think if I had the choice between giving my son a pill to "cure" his autism or to give everyone in the world a pill that would make them understand autism and be compasionate then I would take the world pill option every time. Josh would not be Josh if he were any other way but I hate the frustrations he feels when he cannot understand the world as we see it. I wish there was better global understanding of our children.